« Stumbling Blog | Main
Friday
May232008

The Daddy Blog

Found out last December that my old mentor & friend had slashed his femoral artery and painted his apartment. I spent a couple months calmly reasoning with his ghost, “C’mon,” I would mutter, “Don’t be dead.” Then, as if waking from a long dream, it dawned on me: I should write. Started getting up at 3:30 to write short fiction & poetry. A friend of mine said I should write one of those Daddy Blogs. A Daddy Blog? Later, I took Jackson (9) to soccer practice, put Lucy (4) on a swing, and sat on a bench to read. Lucy screamed, “The wind, Daddy! The wind! It feels so nice. It’s nice in my vagina!” I looked at my daughter. She appeared to me in this context as the radical opposite of all dead things. Her long blonde hair waved and flapped and wind rushed up her ecstatic vagina. I thought: “This perhaps constitutes my right to write one of those Daddy Blogs.”

I like it already.

May 24, 2008 at 7:17 AM | Unregistered CommenterBen

It is a cute comment by your daughter.

May 24, 2008 at 8:33 AM | Unregistered CommenterDenny

oh christ!

May 31, 2008 at 7:36 AM | Unregistered Commentergreezus chrust

Well...vaginas don't see a lot of wind..and the wind DOES feel nice in one's vagina. I can't believe I'm writing the word 'vagina' three times in my first comment on your blog though.

June 1, 2008 at 12:03 AM | Unregistered CommenterKat

I too one day would like to feel the wind on my vagina! This will be a new goal of mine like "swimming with the dolphins" or "becoming a famous inventor!"

June 2, 2008 at 2:03 PM | Unregistered CommenterStefanie

Way better than smoke up your ass!

June 3, 2008 at 12:48 PM | Unregistered Commentericecreammama

I'm so happy a friend turned me on to your blog, this way I can read all the archives NOW.. She is right too..it does feel good when the wind is in your vagina, that is why Britney Spears doesn't wear underpants.

August 12, 2008 at 11:23 AM | Unregistered Commentermysecondjournal

And thank God you did - it's awesome.

September 17, 2008 at 7:05 AM | Unregistered CommenterLotta

The wind blows where it will. It care's nothing for a child's shrill of delight, of ecstatic life/joy full blown beneath it like a fire's fanned flames. It's just the wind.

October 19, 2008 at 1:31 PM | Unregistered Commenterpocko

I don't know anything about wind in a vagina, but I do appreciate a nice draft on my balls.

October 22, 2008 at 5:04 PM | Unregistered CommenterKing of New York Hacks

I'm sorry about your friend, really.

I'm glad that my friend had you blogrolled and that I finally clicked.

I'm also glad that you started to write because you gave me a whole new slant on parenthood that I couldn't get from my own parents and that I daren't have gambled on getting for myself. So, thank you and congratulations on your superlative work!

July 22, 2009 at 3:37 PM | Unregistered CommenterLa Framéricaine

did i mention you have a new reader? i started on the first page and decided what i really needed to do was go back to may 2008 and start at the beginning. i joked with my coworker and told him i was in love with you and the more i read, the deeper i fall. your words are food for my soul as corny as that sounds. and i just can't get enough. also, i hope the telescope in your penis didn't hurt too much. ;)

March 10, 2012 at 12:32 PM | Unregistered Commenterangela king

I, too, have rewound back to 2008, after discovering your blog most recently. "Syntax" comes to mind when reading your posts, in a most unusual way, I could read your entries in a spoken word contest. Thanks for being so fresh, Mr. Fresh.

March 16, 2012 at 6:52 PM | Unregistered CommenterSvenah